Sunday, March 24, 2013

Not every day is a cleaning day

After this was done, 
Ma began the work that belonged to that day. 
Each day had its own proper work. 
Ma used to say:

Wash on Monday
Iron on Tuesday
Mend on Wednesday
Church on Thursday
Clean on Friday
Bake on Saturday
Rest on Sunday

"Little House in the Big Woods" p. 29

Like some others of you, I recently read this post by a Mormon bishop, and like Alicia, this line really stood out to me:

"The strongest among us are those with the cleanest mirrors."

For the past few days, I've been feeling some unease about a few relationships in my life (related to my boundary setting/enforcing), and I know I need to see some things more clearly than I currently do. But I have not made use of some opportunities I've had to ponder and pray about the issue more specifically because I don't feel ready to accept responsibility for things I may have said or done or apologize. The discomfort is building, so I know it will happen soon, though. Last night, when I finally managed to drag myself to my knees for a reluctant evening prayer I knew I needed to at least take a step toward the issue. So I told God that I knew I needed to face the issue and see the truth, but that I didn't feel strong enough to. I wasn't like those strong people capable of keeping their mirrors clean. And immediately, what I felt in my heart was:

You don't have to be strong to have a clean mirror; it is the act of cleaning your mirror that will make you strong.  

And I knew that my emotions were legitimately affected by my need for sleep and that God was not holding me accountable for cleaning my mirror that day. Tomorrow, maybe. But we could wait and see.


(Note: I have more thoughts and experiences with mirror cleaning-related subjects that I hope to write about soon.)

4 comments:

  1. I love this, love this. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, glad I found your blog! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow:) I love this! I have a long way to go before my mirrors are clean and even my windows, but you are giving me hope.

    ReplyDelete